Abortion is the ending of pregnancy due to removing an embryo or fetus before it can survive outside the uterus. An abortion that occurs spontaneously is also known as a miscarriage. When deliberate steps are taken to end a pregnancy, it is called an induced abortion, or less frequently an “induced miscarriage”.
What Does the Bible Say About Abortion? Throughout Scripture, God affirms the value of every human life—from children in the womb to the elderly. Learn more about the biblical references to ideas relating to abortion. Let these Bible verses inspire you about how valuable you are in the sight of the One who made you and gave you life.
From a biblical standpoint:
- Jeremiah 1:5 – Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.
- Psalms 127:3-5 – Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from him. 4 Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth. 5 Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their opponents in court.
- Genesis 1:27 – So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.
- Psalms 8:5-7 – 5 You have made them a little lower than the angelsand crowned them with glory and honor. 6 You made them rulers over the works of your hands; you put everything under their feet: 7 all flocks and herds, and the animals of the wild,
- Job 31:15 – Did not he who made me in the womb make them? Did not the same one form us both within our mothers?
- Psalms 22:10 – From birth I was cast on you; from my mother’s womb you have been my God.
- Isaiah 49:15 – “Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!